This article contains SPOILERS that will spoil your game's experience.
The LocoRoco Wiki and Budzi also warns you to READ AT YOUR OWN RISK!
SCE Japan Studio
Sony Computer Entertainment
October 29, 2009 (NA)
November 1, 2009 (JP)
LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is the fourth and final LocoRoco game of the LocoRoco series. They have a new ability called "boing". The "boing" makes the LocoRoco bounce higher and bounce in walls. The game was released on October 29, 2009 in North America and on November 1, 2009 in Japan.
Once upon a time, on a late, sleepy night...
The BuiBui came to cause trouble and fright!
The mischievous rascals sang their old tune,
and kidnapped LocoRoco right under the moon!
Deep in the depths of the great BuiBui castle,
the LocoRoco were put through to a terrible hassle!
With what were the mischievous BuiBui toying?
Now the poor LocoRoco bounce with a BOING!
But the LocoRoco are not ones to mope
Perhaps this new Boing is a reason for hope?
Use it to bounce through the BuiBui built stages.
Complete the perilous BuiBui built stages,
to help the LocoRoco back to a safe haven!
Movement and controls
The game controls are quite simple.
L button - tilt the screen left
R button - tilt the screen right
L+R button then release any one of them - Jump
Circle (tap) - split big LocoRocos into smaller ones.
Circle (hold) - merge all the small LocoRocos into one.
First of all, you may want to master the jump. Depending on when you release the triggers, the LocoRoco will jump a different height. At time, you need to learn how to control the magnitude of your jumps when clearing certain stages.
Wall jumps - this can be done by tilting and releasing the triggers alternatively.
For example, perform a jump toward the right wall, hold the right trigger. When the LocoRoco hit the right wall, release the right trigger and hold the left trigger. When it hits the left wall, release the left trigger and hold the right trigger.
Boing - Each time you jump successfully, your boing counter will increases, up to a maximum of 100. After that, you will get +1000 to your score for each successful boing. After 100 boing, the timing becomes difficult.
Note: Your LocoRoco should be merged into one to execute a Boing!
When a LocoRoco is injured (Moja devour, thorns), immediately catch the "fading" LocoRoco or else it will die and lose you one.
If you encounter a checkpoint (a statue of a "fading" LocoRoco), you can be redirected there after a game over. However it will cost you 300 pickories, it can only be used 3 times per checkpoint. After the 3rd game over, the checkpoint will now cost 500 Pickories. After the 6th game over, subsequent uses of the checkpoint will cost 1000 Pickories thereafter. The checkpoint of a stage will disappear if you clear the level at least once.
There are a total of 16 stages in this game. The next level is unlocked once you complete a level. As you progress through the stages, the difficulty level increases. Be mindful of the number of stars below the stage name. The more stars, the more difficult the level.
There are also three DLC stages unlockable after purchase in the PSN Store, for a total of 19 stages all in all.
Beginner Stages (1-2 stars)
- Chapo-Wahr 1 - (1 Star Difficulty)
- BuiBui Fort 1 - (1 Star Difficulty)
- Nyokki Land 1 - (2 Stars Difficulty)
- Shamplin 1 - (2 Stars Difficulty)
Intermediate Stages (3-5 Stars)
- Jaojab 1 - (3 stars difficulty)
- Dolangomeri 1 - (5 Stars Difficulty)
- Tropuca 1 - (3 Stars Difficulty)
- Yamboona Tree 1 - (5 Stars Difficulty)
Advanced Stages (4-7 stars)
- Shamplin 2 - (4 Stars Difficulty)
- CaloCaro 1 - (5 Stars Difficulty)
- Chapo-Wahr 2 - (6 Stars Difficulty)
- BuiBui Fort 2 - (7 Stars Difficulty)
Ultra Advanced Stages (6-10 Stars)
- Tropuca 2 - (6 Stars Difficulty)
- Kelapton 1 - (7 Stars Difficulty)
- Jaojab 2 - (8 Stars Difficulty)
- Dolangomeri 2 - (Most Difficult Stage, 10 Stars Difficulty)
Purchase them through PSN Store and these stages will be unlocked:
- Shamplin 3 - (5 Stars Difficulty)
- BungaBongo 1 - (6 Stars Difficulty)
- BuiBui Fort 3 - (Most Difficult Stage, 10 Stars Difficulty)
Rewards and Penalties
Boing from start to end: +100000
Touch the hidden MuiMui in a stage: +100000
Collect all berries: +100000
Collect all pickories : +100000
Eat 1 Pickory: +50
Eat 1 Big Orange Pickory: +500
Eat 1 White Pickory: +2500
Eat 1 Berry: +2000
Finish stage before allotted time: +1500 per second
Finish stage beyond allotted time: Total score is halved
Number of LocoRocos(N) at finish: 3000 x N
Rewards and Penalties
GiGi : +1000
Mooskoos : +1000
Bochollo : +1000
Apokay : +1000
Domingo : +1000
Domingo-Popo : +2000
Gamumuht : +1000
Jamumuht : +1000
Finmoot : +1000
BuiBui Plane : +1000
BuiBui Robo : +2500
Moja : +2000
Mojaja : +2500
Oja (Found in Tropuca 2, Dolangomeri 1 and 2): +10000
Ojaja (Found in Dolangomeri 2): +25000
Example: Beating Dolangomeri 2 perfectly in 6 mins (Time to beat is 8 mins)
999 Pickories x 50 = 49950
4 Berries x 2000 = 8000
4 Berries Perfect = 12000
6 Mojas x 2000 = 12000
1 Mojaja x 2500 = 2500
1 Ojaja x 25000 = 25000
Found Muimui = 100000
All Pickories = 100000
All LocoRocos = 100000
Time Score = 8 mins - 6 mins = 2 mins = 120 sec x 1500 = 180000
Total: 409450 x 2 (since double score when Boing is active) = 818900 + 100000 (Boing from start to end)
GRAND TOTAL = 918900 pts
Note: If the player's score is enough to reach 1 million (e.g. professional players in Dolangomeri 2), the maximum score will always be 999999 points.
Practice Area Ticket
Unlocked after clearing Stage 2, BuiBui Fort 1.
The aim in this game is to gather 10 LocoRoco. Once you had done that, the wall to the final area will be broken down allowing you access to lots of pickories.
There is no stage clear area in this area. So just leave the place anytime you want.
Unlocked after clearing Stage 3, Nyokki Land 1.
The BuiBui will tell you which LocoRoco to catch to gain extra points. If you return empty handed, the minigame will end.
Scoring mechanisms: Wrong LocoRoco: 10, 20 Correct LocoRoco: 20, 40, 120, 160 Catch All: 100
100 - 150 BuiBui Charm 160 - 250 Kelapton Beret, Chapo-Wahr Hat 260 - 350 Pink Spots, Swimming Goggles 360 - 450 Hohoh Calf, Face Paint 460 - 550 Heart Glasses, Large Ribbon 560 - 650 Dolangomeri Hat, Flower Pin 660 - 750 Gentleman Set, Skeleton Mask 760 - 850 Samurai Helmet, Fancy Hat 860 - 990 Ghost Mask, Oni Mask 1000 ~ MuiMui Mask, BuiBui Mask
Main article: Loco Ball
Bonus Games 1, 2 and 3
These bonus games will be given you once you had played the game enough time. You try to gather as many pickories as you can before the timer run out. If you decided not to play the bonus games immediately, they will become selectable. However, you will still be given 1 try for each game. While they were selectable, you will not be given that particular bonus game. So, you may want to play the one you like and keep the ones you dislike selectable.
- LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is the only game to have few number of stages (16 + 3 DLC stages = 19), unlike in the first two games LocoRoco and LocoRoco 2, there were 40 and 25 stages in all, respectively.
- LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is the only game where Mojas spit out a "fading" (near death) LocoRoco when hit.
- In the previous game, the Lucky Charm is free, can be obtained by getting 300 musical notes, and can survive four hits. It was changed in this game, limited only to a one-hit survival and costing 100 pickories.
- Also in previous games, larger species of Mojas devour more LocoRoco than a Moja itself. This is changed in this game where Oja and Ojaja devour always only one LocoRoco.
- LocoRoco Midnight Carnival is the only game where the perfect total number of LocoRocos in a stage is less than 20, even less than 10.
- Franzea and Perculoka are the only stages to not appear in LocoRoco Midnight Carnival.